THE EYE OF HARMONY
The Center of the Web of Time
the hitching post of Chronology, that which does not flux nor wither nor change its state."
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click on paragraphs to see color coding for sources
EYE OF HARMONY
Rassilon's Star, the Caldera, the Time-Sun, the Black Hole of Rassilon
Significant temporal paradoxes associated with Inner Time can cause fluctuations in the artron power output of the Eye of Harmony, enough to endanger TARDIS travel. It doesn’t take much of a weakness of the power output of the Eye to disable almost all of Gallifrey’s defenses (including the Validium). Even the transduction barrier would begin to fail. The Eye of Harmony can be drained remotely with a stellar manipulator. But the manipulator would need to be in continual operation to disable all of Gallifrey’s time travel facilities. The destabilization of the Eye of Harmony would cause Gallifrey to turn into antimatter, creating a quasar that would destroy a hundred worlds.
THE SPACE-TIME VORTEX - the Astral Vortex, the Fifth Dimension
THE WEB OF ALL-TIME
The Web of Universal History, Time, Causal Nexus, the Great Time Line
THE TRANSDUCTION BARRIERS
The first transduction barrier is also known as the Quandum Force-Field. It protects against more conventional threats and stops ships from landing or even kamikaze runs. Anything that touches a transduction barrier will be torn apart on a sub-atomic level. It is impossible to completely disable without vaporizing Gallifrey and many of the surounding star systems.
The next barrier was the gap between the Outer Space of the Universe and the Inner Time of Gallifrey. This created a conceptual barrier as history itself disconnects between these two sides of the barrier. The universe is conditioned to believe such passage is impossible. In actual fact it can't prevent the landing of a space ship but the crew will not be able to believe that such a landing is possible. Any ship that tried would find itself diverted around the planet in a manner similar to gravitational lensing
The third barrier reflected incoming forces by countering them with and equal and opposite concept. This barrier prevents atomic sized infiltrations, teleporters, weapons fire, and illicit frequencies. It does allow sunlight and gravity to reach the surface, giving the sky a pearly orange color, but it can be polarized to block all light from the suns. The transduction barriers should be able to protect Gallifrey from the gravitational effects of a black hole suddenly appearing less than a light-year away.
The fourth barrier of Stubborn Philosophy uses Attacks of Ignorance. The Eye of Harmony refuses to see the attacker, removing the enemy from the Web of Time itself. Repeated exposures to this unrealness will convince almost any attacker to give up.
With the approval of Traffic Control, a split second gap is created to allow a TARDIS to pass through the barriers. When a Timeship passes through the Transduction Barriers the effect is visible from Gallifrey’s surface. One must have a Time Warrant issued before you are allowed to leave Gallifrey. If a TARDIS has been de-registered then the transduction barriers might not be able to stop its departure from Gallifrey. Amber Alerts are invoked when an unauthorized TT capsule is approaching Gallifrey.
If more Transduction Barriers are lowered into place no TARDIS will be able to arrive on Gallifrey. The exception would be and any TARDIS carrying the Lord President, whose Rassilon Imprimatur and Presidential Code allow him to pass through the transduction barriers at will. It is possible to configure the the controls to trap a TARDIS inside them barriers. A TARDIS in such a position will find it will require all of its power just to transmit a short range distress call to Gallifrey.
While it is thought that even an alliance of galactic superpowers would be unable to break through the transduction barrier, there are some limitations this defense. For example if the barriers were struck by a thousand worlds traveling at 50 times the speed of light, Gallifrey would be destroyed. Transduction barriers can also be breached by modifying temporal shielding to created a state of Folded-Temporal Grace. It allows one to fold oneself into alternate, but very similar, timelines and time states. This can be used to flip oneself past a transduction barrier. The strength of the Transduction Barriers can be reduced by the effect of temporal storms or nearby time rift activity. Charging the transduction barriers will isolate the Matrix from all users. The Time Lords also use Transduction Barriers in other locations such as TARDIS Neural Construction Docks to prevent the Capsules from escaping. A localized transduction barriers can be used to shield a Time Lord from the Matrix.
THE MATRIX OF TIME
The Central Space-Time Amplified Panatropic Computations Matrix
Unlike the Matrix Crown, this Key of Rassilon (not to be confused with the Great Key or the Rod of Rassilon), gives someone the ability to re-write and alter pre-existing information stored in the Matrix. Because of this, the Key of Rassilon is supposed to be kept in Co-ordinator's possession at all times. Like all of the ancient artifacts, the Key of Rassilon is made of pure non-atomic matter (ie its not made of atoms but instead perfectly flat planes) designed to deliberately resist analysis. The artifacts of Rassilon are powerful and have an unknowable intelligence. They can read people’s intentions and actions like a book and can choose protectors. They can even influence their protector's subconscious actions.
All Time Lord minds are continually connected to the Matrix on a basic level via the Reflex Link found in their brains. The Reflex Link might be used to allow the Intelligentsia to access the full Power of Creation. Through the Matrix this Reflex Link connects every Time Lord to the Time Lord Intelligentsia and allows the Matrix to constantly record the experiences of all Time Lords wherever they may be. Images from their brain's electrical impulses can be created on a visual display unit. The Matrix also allows Time Lords to telepathically contact each other even across space and time.
Officially the President and the Keeper of the Matrix are the only Matrix Lords on Gallifrey, but in reality some deceased Time Lords, and representatives of other species, serve as Matrix Lords inside a Sub-Matrix under the command of Rassilon.
The Kardashev Scale
Time Lords use the Kardashev Scale to rate various species
It should be noted that many Type 3 Civilizations have enough power and resources to pose a small amount of risk to
some Type 4 Civilizations.
every society will hit the following technological breakthroughs: Fire, bronze, gunpowder, steam, hydrocarbon energy,
electricity, antibiotics, atomic energy, elementary space travel, nuclear fusion, quantum space travel.
Type 0: Civilization has yet to conquer their own world.
- Level 1 Society: Primitive – Stone Age
- Level 2 Society: Metalworking – Bronze Age to Middle Ages
Type 1: Civilization controls all the resources of their planet.
- Level 3 Society: Renaissance – 15th to 17th Centuries
- Level 4 Society: Industrial – 18th to 20th Centuries
Type 2: Civilization has control of their star system.
- Level 5 /2 Society: Space Faring – Late 20th to Early 21st Century
- Level 6 Society: Star Faring – Late 21st to 30th Century
Type 3: Civilization has control over a complete galaxy.
- Level 7 Society: Advanced Interstellar – 30th to 50th Century
- Level 8 Society: Time Aware – 51st Century and beyond
Type 4: Civilization has control over the fundamental forces of the entire Universe.
- Level 9 Society: Time Active – Daleks, the People
- Level 10 /12/A Society: Time Lords
- Level 11 /B Society: Transcendental Beings (Sub-Guardians) - Rassilon, the Great Old Ones, the Eternals, Post-Humanity
- Level 12 /C Society: The Council of Guardians
THE LAWS OF TIME
THE LAWS OF TIME AND THE RULES GOVERNING TIME LORDS
From the Worshipful and Ancient Law of Gallifrey
The Laws of Time give the Time Lords the divine purpose of serving Time itself by maintaining the continuity/history of the fabric of the space-time continuum and the causality of the Universe. They claim that this service is their right because they were first humanoid culture to naturally evolve and pledge themselves to providing justice to all species. To this end, all non-approved time travel by other species is strictly prohibited. The Time Lords prevent time tampering, and forbid time subversion - there are no exceptions. The first three rules are know as the Major Laws of Time but there are over 15,000 Laws of Time in all.
The first law of times states that no being shall
interfere with, their own timeline, by
as he knows it.
You can't alter the Past.
Creating such a paradox could upset the stability of the Universe.
This is the most important Law of the Time Lords.
This is a moral as well as legal law.
This is sometimes called the burden of the Time Lord.
No being shall interact with his own personal history or causal nexus by traversing their time streams.
- No being shall murder their past self. This is the ultimate violation of the Laws of Time.
- No being may come into contact with his past self. When different versions of the same person meet, the time streams are put out of sync. When a sapient being touches his younger self it shorts out the time differential, causing a release of temporal energy. This is known as the Blinovitch Limitation Effect. The resulting time differential explosion destroys/changes history in that localized time zone. The temporal disturbances caused when this occurs require tremendous amounts of temporal energy to repair. The Blinovitch Limitation effect will generally make it impossible for the younger versions to retain their memories of the encounter. The younger version of the time traveler will often be unaware that there are any gaps in his memory until he encounters the events again in his future. Time Lords used to be shielded to the Blinovitch Limitation Effect but the Time Lords removed this shield to stop violations of the First Law of Time. Interaction while still in the same incarnation is knows as a Type 3 Blinovitch Crossover. Because of a Time Lord's increased reality quotient, interaction while still in the same incarnation causes the most severe of paradoxes.
- No Gallifreyan shall meet another Time Lord whose incarnations is out of sync with their own time-stream. This prevents damage to space time.
- Investing vast sums money in the past and collecting the profit in the future is a minor violation of the first law of time.
notes to your past self to give them advice (even if you remember
receiving the note) is forbidden. Violators will have to face the
*Note: Interacting with a person who knows your future isn't technically breaking the law as long as you don’t take advantage of the person’s knowledge. Limited communications with another Time Lord out of sequence is also not specifically prohibited.
(Also known as the Doctrine of Non-Intervention or the "Golden Rule") No being on Gallifrey or
on any other planet shall interfere with the Web of Time (intergalactic history), as it is currently known,
no violations of established and predicted quantal events.
Effectively, any event that one learns about one's future becomes a Fixed Point in Time and must not be altered.
from within the micro-universe of a TT Capsule or Gallifrey is all that is permitted.
The Law states that leaving a TARDIS is only permissible when the disembarkations procedures are followed. Under
most circumstances this includes wearing Environmental Isolation Suit to avoid contamination.
- No time traveler shall interfere with the timeline of a fixed Temporal Nexus Point. The History of any person or planet, as it recorded or predicted in the Matrix, can not be chronoformed (the deliberate rewriting/distorting of history) to alter its destiny. This is defined as changing any part of the Web of Time by not less then fifty-three millistates. (This is also covered under Timeline Interference Resolution 861.) Shifting the orbit of a temporal nexus point is an example of a Class 1 Intervention.
- All Time Lords shall follow a Doctrine of Non-Interference with Time Unaware races. A Time Lord setting himself up as the god of a lesser species is an example of a Class 2 Intervention.
- All Time Lords shall work to prevent Time Aware Races from acquiring Gallifreyan Technology or the secrets of temporal science. No alien shall be allowed to spy on Time Lord activities. Also known as the Golden Rule, this is one of their most serious laws. The Time Lords show no mercy to its violators. There are articles of emergency power that govern possible alien activity on Gallifrey. These articles allow the investigation of even the Lord President.
- All Time Lords shall work to prevent Time Active Races from damaging the Web of Time. Disturbances of .4 or higher on the Bocca Scale must be prevented. Any request by a species to develop time active weaponry will be automatically turned down. Counter-intervention to restore the Web of Time is permissible, but only with the approval of the High Council.
- It is forbidden for Gallifreyans and Lesser Species to interbreed. Time Lords are forbidden to fall in love or developing other strong affections for lesser species.
- Time Lords are forbidden from visiting newly formed worlds because their morpho-genetic field can distort the world’s field and imprint on the life that will evolve there.
Article 7 states that a Time Lord who destroys an entire species forfeits his remaining lives - and thus his
title of Time Lord.
*Note: Article 7 was created not to preserve life but to prevent the massive damage to History that genocide would cause. For this reason, Article 7 does not generally apply to Lesser Species.
- All Time Lords are pledged to prevent alien aggression by Time Active Races, but only when such aggression is deemed to threaten the indigenous population of a particular time zone. This includes preventing the Reapers from destroying an entire world because of a temporal paradox. One of the responsibilities of a Time Lord is to investigate any distress call broadcast from inside the Time Vortex.
- No being shall interact with his own personal history or causal nexus by traversing their time streams.
The Second Law of time is sometimes summarized as: do nothing and all will be well, the
Second Law states thats no
being shall participate in the creation of a Temporal Paradox.
No Time Lord shall use the Power of Creation.
- No Time Lords shall use the Power on a scale that would corrupt Time.
- Nothing shall be unhappening from History. Use of an Omnicalculator (such as the Moment, a D-Mat gun or the Oubliette of Eternity) is forbidden by the Laws of Time.
- No being shall create us a TARDIS to create a Vortex Crisis
- No being shall create a Grandfather Paradox
- No being shall cause a Dimensional Paradox by transporting sentient beings from one version of History to another.
- Time looping planets is forbidden.
- Setting up an TARDIS Emergency Mechanism to bring someone back to life is forbidden (and a more serious violation of the Law then owning a TARDIS after retirement).
- No Time Lord shall use the Power of Creation.
The Third Law of Time is often known as the Law of Relative Time or the Protocols of Linearity.
They state that No Time Lord shall travel into Gallifrey's past.
These protocols are not physical laws per say, but rather engineered by powerful Temporal Baffels, Backtime Field
and Governing Circuits built into
all their time travel technology.
This prevents anyone from traveling into Gallifrey’s past,
and keep the Time Lords in sync with Gallifrey Relative Mean Time (also known as Gallifreyan Absolute Time).
For these reasons, it is
virtually impossible to travel into Gallifrey's past.
The natural linear flow of time helps to
ensure that a Time Lord's personal time is always synchronized with Gallifrey’s time. It also ensures that
Time Lords who encounter each other outside of Gallifrey always meet each other in a linear progression along their
This is because the minor nexus points of interaction create a Relative Causal Nexus between them.
A side effect of this law is that other time zones observed by a traveling Time Lord becomes linked with that Time
Lord's personal Causal Nexus.
* It should be noted that in Lungbarrow the Doctor took a 3 day side trip from events and returned minutes later. This might be a power all Lord Presidents have. Robert Scarrit will also do this during the war but he has to keep it a secret to avoid punishment.
- The Fourth Law of time states that No Time Lord shall travel into Gallifrey’s future. To do so would be a theoretical absurdity. Such travel is prevented by Gallifrey's Absolute Temporal Barriers.
- Whilst there are any number of Futures beyond the Time Lord Time Parameters (defined by their noosphere) none maybe deliberately shaped by a Time Lord. Travel beyond the Time Parameters is forbidden. Travel to the end of recorded time is explicitly forbidden (both due to psychological affect of watching the heat death of the universe and to avoid the temptation of studying the next universe). The Time Parameters reach from around 3,500 years after Event 0 (the Big Bang) to 10,000,000 AD and cover most of Space. Time Lords are cautioned not to try to avoid visiting parallel universes.
Unauthorized use of a TARDIS carries a mandatory Death Penalty
(meaning they only take one life)
and often exile.
A Time Lord must have a Time Warrant issued before they are allowed to leave Gallifrey. A Fetch Squad responsible
for returning stolen TARDIS which have been taken by wreck-riders.
- It is forbidden to allow non-Time Lords into a TARDIS.
- After retiring, a Time Lord is not permitted to own a TARDIS.
The 7th Law of Time is also known as the
Protocols of Observation:
No Time Lord shall interact with his own future.
The protocols can even make it difficult for time travelers who are part of a Lord's Causal Nexus from learning about
the future of that Lord.
- No being may come into contact with his future self.
No time traveler shall ever, under any circumstances, visit the site of his own grave.
*Note: It is impossible for a being to see his own future in his own biodata. An attempt to do so will cause the observation to collapse, making the knowledge useless. Losing one's virginity makes it much more difficult (if not impossible) for Gallifreyan technology to read ancestral memories from the subjects biodata.
- It is forbidden to harvest Kontron Crystals from within time rifts or corridors. This is because Kontron Crystals have absorbed time itself and can be used to damage the Web of Time.
No Time Lord shall use time travel for their personal convenience.
*Note: This law of time isn't really enforced and most renegades view it as a trivial. By the Last Great Time War it will be possible to violate these minor Laws of Time as long as the the proper flexi-time forms are filled out after the violation.
- No use of Short-Hops to shorten his personal perception of time. (the Blinovitch Limitation Effect helps prevent violations of this law).
No use of Temporal Orbits or “Vortex Drifting” to elongating his
personal perception of time. It is forbidden to use time travel to live
the same day twice. No using time travel to win at the lottery.
1-6. various etiquettes.
- No use of Post-Destination: Such as sending Allohistorical Lures into the past of a culture to ensure that its activities in the present conform to a desired outcome.
?? Slavery is illegal on Gallifrey. Ownership of the scavenging Coffin-Loaders is universally forbidden.
?? The Gallifreyan Freedom of Information Act: When this law was passed (sometime after the Doctor's trial on Date Index 309906) it forces the government to reveal previously secret and classified information.
?? The Dimensional Ethics Committee has banned all research into allowing the Time Lords to ascende to Higher Dimensions by evolving into non-corporeal beings.
?? It is forbidden for Time Lords to attempt to extend their lives beyond their alotted number of regenerations.
?? Gallifrey has Inheritance Laws and Temporal Taxation.
?? Jurisprudence Priamus states that any decision affecting the Houses of Gallifrey must be approved by electoral consent.
?? There are articles of emergency power that govern possible alien activity on Gallifrey. These articles allow the investigation of even the Lord President. Any alien coming to live on Gallifrey has to apply for Gallifreyan Residency. To be approved they must pass certain health and background checks as well as a test on knowledge of Gallifreyan culture. If the application is rejected, the alien’s memories of Time Lord interactions are forcibly blocked and then they are returned to their home time zone. The only legal way to avoid this is to marry a Gallifreyan, or serve as an ambassador for their homeworld. Aliens are not allowed to serve on the High Council.
?? Time Lords are forbidden from consuming exotic alien food.
?? Before the Time War, a “Sex Change Regeneration” is forbidden and is considered to be a worse crime then stealing a TARDIS and interfering in other time zones. The standard punishment is for the Time Lord to be locked inside their TARDIS forever. Once imprisoned, the criminal's only escape is to activate the de-materialization switch which will remove them from History, turning them into a neverperson.
?? Article 17. No Time Lord shall be barred from offering himself as a candidate during a Presidential Election.
?? Elections must be held within 48 hours if a President dies without naming a successor
*Note: Inaugurations usually take years to organized.
Article 28 Oblique 12, Clause 3. Upon a vote of no confidence being a leveled against a president, that president in his or her current regeneration shall be obliged to stand down from office and legislative power shall past temporarily to the incumbent of the Vice-Presidency, to the incumbent of the Chancellorship, or jointly to the members of the High Council in that hierarchical order - which ever is deemed appropriate until an election is called.
*Amendment made by Emergency High Council Session: A President who has been impeached for high treason against Gallifrey can not every stand for office.
XCIII. 2. After a journey of 400 years and 12 parsecs a Time Lord is allowed 50 years of rest.