THE GREAT HOUSES OF GALLIFREY
The Heart of the Spiral Politic
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click on paragraphs to see color coding for sources
THE CAPITOL OF GALLIFREY
Most Gallifreyans simply refer to it as "the Capitol." The Capitol is in the Northern Hemisphere in the wastelands at the heart of the continent of Wild Endeavor. It sits in the valley between snow the capped mountains of Solace and Solitude. These are part of a desert mountain range that stretches to the horizon. The massive Mount Cadon dwarfs the Capitol. The only thing that grows on these mountains a deep red grass. During the time of the Pythia there was a volcanic chasm running through the Capitol known as the Crevasse of Memories That Will Be. In modern times, the Crevasse is located outside the Capitol. This might have been where the Untempered Schism had been for billions of years. Rassilon redesigned the rest of the Capitol after coming to power. In the modern era the Schism is located outside the Capitol. The Capitol used to have a harbor (but the oceans receded). The Kasterborous Borealis can be seen from the Capitol, as can Mount Cadon. The Capitol might suffer from a bitter wind from the Northern Lakes and was covered in snow for much of the year.
By Human standards the Capitol doesn't appear to be that large of a city, but the dimensionally transcendental nature of a few of its buildings makes it the biggest and most heavily populated city on the planet. Over half the planet's population (at least several thousand, probably several million) live in the Capitol and many Time Lords never leave the Capitol. A large glass dome covers the Capitol. The shaft the Capitol sits in the middle of is bordered by a circular white wall. Only a few of the buildings in the Capitol are dimensionally transcendental. It would take modern Time Lords thousands of years to rebuild the entire Capitol, and re-create the transduction barriers.
The entire Capitol is filled with a sense of silent timelessness. Gallifrey (the Capitol?) smells of cloisters, libraries, vellum, and old excitonic circuitry. Candles are very common. The strong and ridged gravinium is the most common building material on Gallifrey. The floor plates have titanium rivets. Most of the walls in the Citadel appear to be made of stone with dim green light leaking out from the cracks in the aging walls. Unused corridors are filled with dust. The architecture is filled with alcoves. The decor of the Capitol can be changed in the same way that a TARDIS’s desk-top theme can be changed. They often to use the valuable brass-like Machenite as the building material of choice for the interior of important rooms. The streets of the Capitol are patrolled by automated street cleaning mechanisms.
Council members use air-cars to get around inside the Capitol, but there the only exits from the dome are from a few metal doors at ground level (most of which haven't been opened in a century). A small conventional spaceport can be found just outside the Capitol dome (probably the Desiree Spaceport). Time Scaphs are docked the Scaph Port.
The capitol is broken up into numbered sectors and all the rooms are numbered (example Room 30007 in the Administrative Complex - probably Sector 3). Each of these Sectors is described below.
THE GREAT CITADEL OF THE TIME LORDS
Nested into one of the alcoves in the Presidential Palace is the Inner Council Room which was intended to be a private area for the President to meet with the rest of the Inner Council in secret. This room has a Matrix Portal mounted above the debating table and a secret door that leads to the controls for the Time Scoop. This room is only used about once every thousand years and serves as a storage for lesser know artifacts of Rassilon. Normally the Inner Council meets in the Great Hall of Time where one of the Matrix Portals is mounted. A famously effective polygonal Zero Room (created by the Other) can be found in the basement of the Junior Senate Block.
The rest of the Watch work in Sector 4's Jasdisary Building which is attached to the Citadel. The Jasidary Building holds 90 stories of administration offices. There are no windows on the first 30 floors. It was designed by the architect Apeiron and completes a rotation every 58 minutes. Within the Sector 4 of the Citadel is the Security Compound where Security Control, High Court, interrogation cells, detention rooms, execution rooms, and the Oubliette Suites are located. The luxurious Oubliette Suites are where prisoners are held (if they aren't sent to Shada). There are holding cells beneath the Capitol with deadlocks. There are several holding bays for timeships should a recall and mass time scoopings be necessary.
Sector 6 extends out to cover the entire Prydonian Time Academy. The Time Academy is a self-contained city annexed to the Citadel. The Academy covers 28 square miles and has it's own TARDIS cradles and scaphe bays. Its made up of glass towers, covered walkways, dormitories, lecture halls, gymnasiums, and eateries. Most (if not all) of the Junior Cardinals and Time Lord Councilors teach at the Academy.
The 53 story Communications Tower is just outside the Citadel in Sector 7. The tower holds Traffic Control, which is one of the highest security-rated rooms in the Citadel. Every ship passing through the Kasterborus Sector is carefully monitored. Because of that location Power Mast on level 31 of Sector 1, Level 31 of sector 7 of the Citadel also houses the controls for the Transduction Barriers and the Quantum Force-Fields.
There are two huge towers in the north of the Capitol named Canoncity and Likelihood. Both of these building are among the few that are dimensionally transcendental. The tower of Likelihood might be home to the Bureau of Possible Events. Sector 7 might hold Tower Alpha 7.
MidTown has a Multi-Dimensional Art Gallery beneath the Capitol. It is filled with vast numbers of computer created paintings from throughout Gallifrey's history, but N-Forms are no long displayed.
Scientific research is done in the Penansulix Scientific Structure (adjacent to Sector 4's Jasidary Building). Gallifreyan laboratories include everything from cross-dimensional wave scanners to test tubes and Bunsen burners. The Parachronistic Chamber (located deep in the Capitol) can regulate time distortions. Time Lords meet in the Artron Forum to telepathically discuss and exchange points of view. While meeting their excess artron energy is absorbed and routed to the berthing bays to supply TARDISes. Other buildings include the Mortal Coil hospital complex of the Hospitaller-surgeons, Retro-Engineered Spare-Body-Parts Repository, the Meditative Sanctums of Astral Harmony, the Temandra Pleasure Gardens, Gesyevva's Fingers (colonnades), Bureau of Political Advancement, the Temple of Capitol Guilds, the Office of Public Registry, and numerous massive workshops. Gardens are contained in their own glass domes.
During the Time War the following circles dedicated to the House Military's High Command can be found in a quiet corner of the Citadel beneath Sector 7 of the Capitol. These circles also hold the Time Stream Extraction Rooms. Extraction chambers were used to extract a subject from time in space a moment before their death for questioning. The subject would be a fixed point in time and they would need to be returned to the moment of their death after questioning so that the Web of Time could be mantained. There were at least 7 extraction chambers. The very existance of the Extraction Room and the War Room is a closely guarded secret.
4th Circle: Tactical envisioning and clairaudient intelligence.
5th Circle: Perceptual warfare.
6th Circle: Extra-sensory camouflage.
7th Circle: Primary evolutionary and terrorogical research.
8th Circle: Deep Level Conference and Bunker facilities. The Nostrom Cloisters in the lower levels serve as a presidential bolt-hole.
Lowest Circle: The War Room where the Time War Council of the Great Houses meets
The cylindrical base of the Capitol also holds the Repair Shops. There are at least 19 Dry Dimension Dockyards on under level-14 and the Time Travel Embarkation Port located on below on under level-15. Despite this, its difficult to find TARDIS parking in the capitol. These landing bays can generate a dampening field that will prevent dematerialization. Quadriggers (aka Quantum Engineer) work in the maintenance levels of the Capitol and wear dark colored coveralls. With the event of the Type 54 they were replaced by the less prestigious Quantum Mechanics. During the War Era the levels beneath Sector 8 became a TARDIS Graveyards. (because the Time Lords no longer trusted the TT Capsules to safely make their way to the impacted dimension that held the traditional graveyard.)
The Time Lords constructed many weapons designed to destroy Gallifreyan technology. Most weapons don’t need to be fired at a specific target, instead they affect everything within a certain area. Most of Gallifrey's Validium is stored here. Validium is the Ultimate Defense for Gallifrey and is one of the most dangerous of the weapons in the Slaughter House. The Regen-Gun is stored in these archives. It forces its victim to burn through all their remaining regenerations a couple seconds. A temporal grace system is capable of disabling the gun. Inside the Slaughter House is the Omega Arsenal where all the weapons that are forbidden by the Laws of Time are locked away. One of these weapons is the Profane Virus of Rassilon. This Virus was created by Gallifrey's greatest nano-engineer, Erkulon, as a final resort to prevent aliens from obtaining Gallifreyan technology by destroying all of it. It can override and reprogram any excitonic circuitry. The Omega Arsenal also holds the Regeneration Codex. But the most feared weapon in the Arsenal was the Moment. The Moment can time lock entire sectors, create time fissures into and out of time locks and different parallel universes, and break several other of the Laws of Time. Through the Great Key, the Moment became so powerful that the operating system became sentient and it developed a conscience and an intelligence. It can even influence their protector's subconscious actions, coordinating the events of their whole life to achieve its desired ends. For more information on the Great Key and the Moment see The Eye of Harmony
THE HEAD OF THE PRESIDENCY
Lord President of Gallifrey, the Inheritance of Rassilon, President of the Supreme Council,
Technically he has near absolute power, including the right to order executions, however, the Constitution states that the President cannot give orders directly to the Chancellor. However all of the President instructions must go through the Inner Council before being acted upon, and in an emergency session, the Inner Council can override the President at any time with a unanimous vote. As Protector of Gallifrey, the President has direct control over all aspects of Gallifrey's defenses and has access to all of Gallifrey’s defense codes. However the CIA can override him in matters of off world security. The President is entrusted with many of Gallifrey’s most closely guarded secrets, including Jasquig Records, the War Perceptives, the Cavox Imperatives, and the Oubliette of Eternity. The Black Files hold the most sensitive of the Time Lord’s secrets. While officially they un-exist they are infact, held in an office in the heart of an asteroid in a pocked dimension which is a remnant of a redundant timeline. The President is the only Time Lord that knows that the Time Lords' duty is to enforce the balance of the Guardians and that they are directly answerable to the Guardians. It is also likely that the President knows that Omega survived the detonation of the star Quaba. Up until Arc of Infinity the Presidential Code was 4544553916592.
The Presidential Palace is located on level 5 of the Citadel (see Sector 2 of the Citadel above).
The Presidency consists of three Time Lords, the Lord President (or Head) and two attaches who function as secretaries, and advisors. The attaches are not allowed to serve on the High Council. While the President traditionally wears white robes, but this is not required, and some prefer to wear the colors of their chapter. Like the Chancellor, the President is addressed as "Your Excellency." When Time Lords salute the Lord President they hold their right hand up with the palm facing outwards towards the President.
POLICY ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
THE LORD HIGH CHANCELLOR OF ALL GALLIFREY
THE HIGH COUNCIL OF THE TIME LORDS OF GALLIFREY
The Ruling Houses
THE SUPREME COUNCIL OF THE TIME LORDS
The Council, The Parliament
Twenty-Four councilors make up the Supreme Council, and indeed the body is often know simply as The Twenty-Four. Any Time Lord can declare himself to be a candidate for the council, but membership is only conferred by petition of 1/3 of the Time Lord community. Only the most well respected will be able to gain such support, and it is very rare for a Time Lord to achieve a rank higher then Junior Cardinal at less then 2000 years of age. The Surgeon-General is a member of the Supreme Council, as is the Castellan. Traditionally the current President's Chapter will be the most well represented Chapter on the Council. Members remain Councilors until they retire, die, are removed by the President, or are removed by a 1/3 vote of the Time Lord populace. Most Junior Cardinals teach at the Academy as well as pursue advanced research projects.
Each Chapter has their own Academy. Most of the members of each chapter embody certain traits. A Gallifreyan's initial chapter is chosen based on their personality and talents at age 8. Upon graduation from an Academy a Gallifrey is given the opportunity to change their Chapter. But afterwards Gallifreyan customs forbid a person changing allegiances to another Chapter. Each Chapter has 100 full Time Lords for a total of 600. Their are also about 400 Apprentice and Junior Grade Time Lords at any given time. Each Chapter has a Chapterhouse. Time Lords can give their words as either a Time Lord or as a Prydonian. Such oaths are taken very seriously. It is traditional for Gallifreyans who change their chapter at graduation, to continue to wear the original colors of their academy.
It should be noted that plebeians (non-Time Lord) are not bound by the color coding of the chapters with respect to dress. Gallifreyans who become Investigators for the CIA lose all rank and connection to their colleges. Black and white robes appear to indicate Gallifreyans who are not currently aliened with a particular Chapter. Black appears to indicate an alligence to no chapter while white might indicate alligence to all chapters. Jesters on Gallifrey wear multicolored clothes (perhapse this indicates confusion?)
The Six Cardinal Colleges
- Prydon Chapter: The Prydonians wear scarlet, orange, and gold. Most have long sallow faces with beaked noses. They are known to be plotters, decision makers, and liars. They also tend to be talented with learning other languages. This Chapter holds the most politically powerful Houses and for this reason receives more advanced Rassilon Imprimaturs than the lower chapters. The Prydon Chapter has produced more Presidents then all the other Chapters combined. They have also produced more renegades then the other chapters. This Chapter was founded by Rassilon.
- Arcal Chapter: Arcalians wear green and brown robes. This is the second most powerful chapter and for this reason receives more advanced Rassilon Imprimaturs then the lower chapters. This faction was dedicated to science and technical expertise, and holds many of Gallifrey foremost scientists and temporal engineers. There is an Arcalian Council for Temporal Research. While they love to study it, most Arcalians dislike actually interacting with the outside universe, and rarely leave their TARDISes when off world. Even on Gallifrey they tend to be quite solitary. Arcalians are known for always siding with the winning side of any political debate. This Chapter was probably founded by Omega.
- Patrex Chapter: The Patrexes wear heliotrope burgundy robes. The Patrexes are an order of artists, aesthetes, librarians, and philosophers who see artistic value in everything (even pain and suffering). Many of them have advanced telepathic abilities. They are know for the far away looks they carry on their faces, but most lack any true imagination. Adventure does not come easily to members of the Patrexes Chapter. This chapter struggled to maintain its quota of 100 full Time Lords and is a minor player in Time Lord politics. The Patrexian Numbers serve as a numerical base to everything they create. They are know for obsessively cataloging everything. The few Patrexes who do rise to the first rank are well respected for their mental prowess. One of the duties of the Patrexes might scanning into the future as far as was possible. Space-Traffic Control is considered to be a good job for Patrexes who long to learn about life outside of Gallifrey. Practically everything they create is beautiful but pointless. This Chapter was founded by Lord Patrex.
- Cerulean Chapter: Their colors are a subdued light blue and they have little political power. Probably Green in policy. This chapter is made of either academicians or bureaucrats.
- Drome Chapter: The Dromeian colors are probably silver-gray and they have little political power. Probably similar to Social Democrats. This chapter is made of either academicians or bureaucrats.
- Scendeles Chapter: Their colors are quite subdued and they have little political power. This chapter is made of either academicians or bureaucrats.
THE CELESTIAL INTERVENTION AGENCY
The CIA is obsessed with titles and positions. Though the President is the nominal head of the CIA, originally the Coordinator of the CIA reported directly to the Supreme Council. But, as the organization's power and secrecy grew, the Constitution was amended so that they report directly to the Chancellor, providing the President and the High Council with plausible deniability. Unbeknownst to even the Tribunal, the CIA is secretly controlled by the Matrix Lords (Rassilon, Morvane, and Bedevere) from within the Matrix. The effective leaders of the Agency is the Tribunal (also know as the Dark Council). The Tribunal is made up of the First (also known as the Director or Co-ordinator), Second (Sub-Coordinator) and Third Speakers. The CIA Coordinator out ranks the Castellan. The Coordinator of the CIA knows several secret codes which allow control of the Transduction Barriers, the presidential files, and the Omega Vaults. The Allegiance Command Cell is a branch of the CIA. The CIA numbers its investigators. The higher the number the higher the rank of the Investigator. Inquisitor, Captain, Commander, Under-Assassin, and Special Time-Space Troopers (ST-ST) are all CIA titles. Once they imprison someone not even the President can overturn the judgment.
CIA Investigators loose all traditional rank and connections to their colleges when they join. However their bio-data extract will never mention that they are affiliated with the CIA. Most CIA missions are performed by Apprentice Grade Time Lords. These Field Agents have are usualy between 100, and 1,200 years old and tend to go through a life-span approximately every 150 years. They appear to join until their final death day. The CIA prefers conspiracy and manipulation to open confrontation. Their agents are trained in Smallest Effective Change Principles and are skilled in the arts of subterfuge, but receive little instruction in diplomacy. CIA Agents in training practice their marksmanship on Staser Ranges, but are not given much training in hand-to-hand combat. Most of their time is spend studying and attending lectures about alien worlds, though they also are taught about many of Gallifrey's secrets from the past.
Their HQ is located in the Citadel Constraint Block and is sometimes referred to as Gallifrey Central. The CIA will enclose their labs in recursive time loops to hide them from Time Lord society. These time locks are the usual way that the Time Lords keep something from being seen or accessed by the other temporal powers. To ensure that information is not intercepted, the CIA Co-ordinator will sometimes input data and logs directly into the Matrix Datebanks. To insure the existence of back up copies, top secret message sent from Gallifrey to agents are routed through the TARDIS closest to the receiver (they are of course encoded). In emergencies they will teleport Secure Delivery Capsules (SDC) to the current coordinates of the agent. These capsules are virtually impossible to open if you are not the intended recipient.
CIA robes are simpler than other governmental robes and usually either gray or black and/or white. Black and white robes appear to indicate Gallifreyans who are not currently aligned with a particular Chapter. CIA Field Agents in the traditionally wear black robes with tight black hoods. These robes are equipped with Personal Camouflage Devices with a wardrobe circuit that can make them appear to be wearing any of a complete wardrobes of outfits. This perception filter can be overcome by people with psychic ability. The CIA’s Special Time-Space Troopers wear elongated collars in addition to the black robes and tight hoods. Field agents are equipped with details histories, false identification, documents of authority (including Psychic Paper), and currency for various temporal nexus points. Like all Time Lords in the field, they carry galactic compasses.
Most CIA missions are performed by Apprentice Grade Time Lords with Time Rings. However, since unregistered TARDISes are much more difficult for Gallifrey to monitor, the CIA always makes sure to have a few unregistered TARDISes on hand. Most TARDISes used by the CIA's Field Agents have enhanced Recall Circuits and remote self-destruct systems. If an agent is uncovered while in the field by the other temporal powers the High Council will deny that the agent works for the CIA. When field agents lose access to their own TARDIS in the field an Extraction TARDIS is sent to pick them up. However agent who failed a mission is likely to be exiled or sentenced to Shada.
Typical Time Lord weapons don’t need to be fired, instead they affect everything within a certain area. The CIA has been known to change history by manipulating the genes of a race by having their agents interbreed with various races. This is done to direct genetic drift between one bio-system and another or to reduce their aggressiveness. In extreme circumstances, Telepathic Thought Projection (TTP) is sometimes used to try to remotely override the will of members of lesser species to get them to act as the CIA wishes. Unfortunately these telepathic commands can often be detected by other telepaths in the area, and it usually pretty obvious that the controlled subject is acting abnormally. For theses reasons the TTP is rarely used for more then a few minutes. Preparations for a telepathic intervention are extensive and often require temporally suspending the targeted time zone in a time bubble while they are completed. While Time Lords are capable of moving and perceiving the bubble all others will be frozen in time. They even have the ability to freeze time on Gallifrey. Because of their powers, the CIA believes that Time Lords should always present themselves as Gods to the lesser species. This is known as a Class 2 Intervention. Despite being against law, many agents celebrate being able to eat various foods from the outside universe. Article 57, Subsection 12 of the Shadow Proclamation is titled “Jurisdiction of the Celestial Intervention Agency.” Viewing any records classified by this subsection requires the approval of the Castellan.
Chapter 9 if the CIA was tasked with monitoring and confronting other species that threatened to break the laws of time. In theory, the Supreme Court was responsible for judging non-Gallifreyan time active species or individuals who had violated the Laws of Time. It is standard CIA protocol that any member of a lesser species who is transported through time and space by a Time Lord should have their memory wiped and be returned to their native time zone. It should be noted that Gallifreyan memory wiping techniques aren't totally reliable and the memories will often reappear as dreams. Unfortunately, the Time Lords are, in reality, a very fearful people, and anything the don’t understand is perceived as a threat to themselves. The CIA tended to over react to such things without bothering to consult the Supreme Court. The CIA has been known to destroy all life on a temporal nexus world in order to prevent one of the ancient artifacts of Rassilon from falling into the hands of another species.
THE ORDER OF THE WEAL
The Ultimate Defense for Gallifrey
THE CHAPTERHOUSE GUARD
The Chancellery Guard, Chancery Guard, the Watch
The Supreme Court
Punishments authorized by the Worshipful and Ancient Law of Gallifrey
"We but administer. You are imprisoned not by this Court, but by the power of the Law."
- Traditional Inquisitor statement when passing Sentence
Biodata Tag (received by all convicted criminal Time Lords)
- Takes the form of a biodata tattoo in the form of a serpent dragon on their right arm.
- This tattoo is keyed into the subject's entire bio-field and links them to the courts though his own biodata strands.
- Blocks specific memories or skills using chemicals that break down memory acids
Exile to the Wild-Lands
- This is the standard punishment for Gallifreyans who commit criminal acts. Most Gallifreyans consider it to be a horrifying punishment.
Exile from Gallifrey without a fully functional TARDIS
- Exile is always accompanied by a Forced Regeneration.
- A common practice often viewed as being worse then death.
- At one point, hacking the Matrix was a crime that resulted a prison sentence of 500 years of exile. This could be reduced to 200 years with good behavior.
- Theft of a TARDIS has only one penalty: death (of one body) and exile. A Fetch Squad is responsible for returning stolen TARDIS.
- Often used for violations of one of the Major (first 3) Laws of Time.
- Misuse of a TARDIS often resulted in this punishment. Time meddlers, responsible for minor violations of the Laws of Time were often exiled.
- Violent criminals, who refuse to become outsiders or hermits, were often exiled.
(probably regarded as a type of death sentence)
- Considered to be a punishment for relatively minor crimes
- For conduct unbecoming a Time Lord??
- Requires the approval by the High Council
- Mandatory punishment for unauthorized use of a Time Capsule (usually included exile as well)
Indefinite Imprisonment in their own TARDIS
- The standard punishment for a “Sex Change Regeneration” (Before the Time War this was considered to be a worse crime then stealing a TARDIS and interfering in other time zones).
- The subject's only escape is to activate the de-materialization switch with will remove them from History turning them into a neverperson.
Identity Alteration via
- Retro-active gene manipulation to make a new person who would not commit the crime
- A sentence handed out by the Supreme Court.
- Used on aliens who are caught spying on the Time Lords
Confiscation of Remaining Lives via Biodata Amendment
- Can be done to confiscate or transfer future incarnations to another Gallifreyan
- Reserved for major violations of the First Law of Time.
- A Time Lord who destroys an entire species forfeits all his remaining lives.
Execution by Vaporisation via a Warrant of Termination
- High Treason and assassination of a President are both punishable by vaporization
- Major violations of the 1st (as well as the second and third) Law of Time (such as aggravated temporal interference) are punished by vaporisation.
- Committing an unauthorized Class 2 Intervention (such as setting one's self up as a god of a lesser species)
- Hacking into the Matrix (originally this offense carried a standard sentence of only 500 years in prison)
- Executions are carried out at the Place of Termination inside a molecular dispersal chamber with a termination tube. The remains of the criminal are dispersed through time and space to the nine corners of the universe and all records of the Time Lord's existence are deleted. This process takes about 40 seconds.
- As of Arc of Infinity, Morbius was the only Time Lord to be executed.
Sentenced In Perpetuity
to be frozen within Shada,
or a Phantom Sun
- Often used for violations of one of the Major (first 3) Laws of Time.
- Used on criminals (regardless of species) whose existence is viewed as a threat to Gallifrey.
- Used on criminals that went places forbidden by the Time Lords or discovered information forbidden by the Time Lords.
Time Looping a World (reserved for punishing an entire species)
- A sentence handed out by the Supreme Court for species that attempt to violate one of the Major (first 3) Laws of Time.
- A sentence of 150,000 years imprisonment is standard for a species misusing temporal powers on the scale the Legions did.
Unhappening from History
- The Time Lords can remove a single soul from history so that nobody will ever remember they existed.
- Used for aliens who are caught spying on the Time Lords.
- The Oubliette of Eternity can be used on entire species removing entire worlds from the Web of Time, but this is very rarely done.
- Carried out using an Omnicalculator (such as D-Mat gun or the Oubliette of Eternity)
- As this punishment is a violation of the First Law of Time it is only enacted in secret by the President or (more often) the CIA.